** Cooler Item **
Indicated as a treatment for canine otitis externa complicated by bacterial and fungal organisms. Administer 5-10 Baytril ear drops per treatment in dogs 35 lbs or less and 10-15 drops per treatment in dogs more than 35 lbs.
Side effects are rare; still symptoms like ear irritation, acute inflammation of the ear canal and pinna are reported. In some cases the pet might experience lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, or hearing loss during the course of treatment, which might require immediate medical aid.
Baytril Otic (enrofloxacin/silver sulfadiazine) Emulsion from Bayer
is the first fluoroquinolone approved by the Food and Drug
Administration for the topical treatment of canine otitis externa.
- The dual power of enrofloxacin and silver sulfadiazine
- Enrofloxacin provides rapid bactericidal
activity against the bacteria found most often in canine otitis
externa: Coagulase-positive Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterobacter, Proteus mirabilis, Aeromonas hydrophila, Streptococcus, and Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- Silver sulfadiazine (SSD) is a highly effective
antimycotic, killing the fungal organisms most commonly associated
with otitis externa: Malassezia pachydermatis, Candida albicans and Aspergillus.
- SSD also has broad-spectrum antibacterial activity against many Gram negative and Gram positive organisms, including Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- SSD is a non-irritating topical antimicrobial that may enhance epidermal repair by reducing inflammation.
- The power of a convenient formulation
- Baytril Otic (enrofloxacin/silver sulfadiazine)
is an elegant water-based emulsion that is soothing to infected ears.
The drop formulation of Baytril Otic provides excellent penetration
into ear canals, delivering high concentrations of active ingredients
to the site of infection.
- Petroleum-based otic preparations can be messy
and inconvenient for pet owners to administer. Water-based solutions,
such as Baytril; Otic, are preferred over oil-based products for
treatment of purulent otic infections. Occlusive ointments and oils
should be avoided for yeast infections, where they may promote growth of
- The power of flexible therapy
- Because Baytril Otic contains no
corticosteroids, therapy can be tailored to the needs of the individual
patient, with or without adjunctive steroid use; allowing the
veterinarian to prescribe the exact amount and duration of
anti-inflammatory therapy desired.
- Baytril Otic provides safe therapy for sensitive ear tissues, avoiding potential effects of prolonged use of corticosteroids.2 During clinical trials less than 2% of dogs exhibited local hypersensitivity of the aural epithelium.
- The power of Baytril (enrofloxacin) inside and out
- A study demonstrated that 82% of dogs with chronic otitis externa had concurrent otitis media.3 71% of these dogs had intact tympanic membranes.
- The combined power of Baytril Otic and Baytril
Tablets will provide rapid penetration of otic tissues and elimination
of bacteria both in otitis externa and externa media.
- Safety of Baytril Otic (enrofloxacin/silver
sulfadiazine) has not been established in patients with perforated
tympanic membranes. Patients with otitis media will also require
systemic therapy. Baytril (enrofloxacin) Tablets have proven efficacy
against the organisms commonly associated with middle ear infections, Staphylococcus intermedius and Pseudomonas.
- Quinolone class drugs should be used with caution in animals with known or suspected Central Nervous System disorders.
Because this is a cooler item, it must Ship
OVERNIGHT Delivery to insure the integrity of the product. This items ships in a styrofoam cooler with ice packs on Monday-Thursdays (on orders placed before 2:00p.m.)
Click here for our Vaccine Shipping Schedule.