RX required for this item.
Click here for our full Prescription Policy and Form
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
Clipper (Phoenix Pharm.)
For Oral Use in Horses Only
NON-STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUG (NSAID)
ANADA 200-334, Approved by FDA
CAUTION: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian. Federal law prohibits the extralabel use of this product in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older.
DESCRIPTION: Phenylbutazone chemically is 4-butyl-1,2-diphenyl-3,5-pyrazolidinedione.
Mol. Wt. 308.38
Each 10 grams of powder contains 1 gram of phenylbutazone
INDICATIONS: Phenylbutazone is for the relief of inflammatory conditions associated with the musculoskeletal system in horses. In the treatment of inflammatory conditions associated with infections, specific anti-infective therapy should be used concurrently.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: For Horses Only: Administer orally (using the 0.6 ounce (18 mL) scoop provided) on a small amount of palatable feed and mix well. Give 1 to 2 level scoops per 500 pounds of body weight, but do not exceed 4 scoops per animal daily. Use the high dose for the first 48 hours, then gradually reduce to a maintenance dose.
CONTRAINDICATIONS: Use with caution in patients who have history of drug allergy.
WARNING: Do not use in horses intended for human consumption.
HUMAN WARNINGS: Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children. Dispense in tight, child resistant containers.
PRECAUTION: Concomitant use with other anti-inflammatory drugs, such as NSAIDs or corticosteroids, should be avoided or closely monitored.
Phenylbutazone was first synthesized in 1948 and introduced into human medicine in 1949. Kuzell (1), (2), (3), Payne (4), Fleming (5) and Denko (6) demonstrated the clinical effectiveness of phenylbutazone in gout, gouty arthritis, acute arthritis, acute rheumatism and various other rheumatoid disorders in humans. Fabre (7), Domenjoz (8), Wilhelmi (9) and Yourish (10) have established the anti-rheumatic and anti-inflammatory activity of phenylbutazone. It is entirely unrelated to the steroid hormones.
Toxicity of phenylbutazone has been investigated in rats and mice (11) and dogs (12).
Phenylbutazone has been used by Camberos (13) in thoroughbred horses. Favorable results were reported in cases of traumatism, muscle rupture, strains and inflammations of the third phalanx. Results were not as favorable in the period treatment of osteoarthritis of the stifle and hip, arthrosis of the trapezious muscles and general arthritis. Sutter (14) reported a favorable response in chronic equine arthritis of long duration, fair results in severely bruised mare and poor results in two cases where the condition was limited to the third phalanx.
HOW SUPPLIED: Phenylbute is supplied in 2.2 lb (1 kg) jars each containing a dispensing scoop. One level scoop delivers 10 grams of powder containing 1 gram of phenylbutazone.
Store at room temperature, 15°-30°C (59°-86°F).
1. Kuzell, WC, Schaffarzick, RW, Naughler, WE, Gandia, C, and Mankle, EA: A.M.A. Arch. Inst. Med., 92:646 (1953).
2. Kuzell, WC, Schaffarzick, RW, Brown, B, and Mankle, EA: J.A.M.A., 149:729 (1952).
3. Kuzell, WC, and Schaffarzick, RW: Calif. Med., 77:319 (1952).
4. Payne, RW, Shelter, MR, Farr, CH, Hellbaum, AA, and Ishmall, WK: J. Lab. Clin. Med., 45:331 (1955).
5. Fleming, J, and Will, G: Ann. Rheumat., Dis., 12:95 (1953).
6. Denko, CW, and Rumi, D: American Pract., 6:1865 (1955).
7. Fabre, J, et al: Semain. Hop. (Paris), 31:87 (1955).
8. Domenjoz, R, et al: Arzneimittel-Forsch, 5:488 (1955).
9. Wilhelmi, G, and Pulver, R: Arzneimittel-Forsch, 5:221 (1955).
10. Yourish, W, Paton, B, Brodie, B, and Burns, J: A.M.A. Arch. Ophth., 53:264 (1955).
11. Hazelton, LW, Tusing, TW, and Hollana, EG: J. Pharmacol. Exper. Ther., 109:387 (1953).
12. Ogilvie, FB, and Sutter, MD: Vet. Med. 52:492 (1957).
13. Camberos, HR: Rev. Med. Vet. (Buenos Aries), 38:9 (1956).
14. Sutter, MD: Vet. Med., 53:83 (1958).
U.S. Patent #6,552,063 B2
Each 1.1 lb jar contains: 50 grams of phenylbutazone.
Each 2.2 lb jar contains: 100 grams of phenylbutazone.
Trademarks are property of Clipper Distributing Company, LLC.
Manufactured for: Clipper Distributing Company, LLC., St. Joseph, MO 64507
1.1 lb (0.5 kg)
2.2 lb (1 kg)
NAC No.: 12561363