9. May 2012
The best way to fight fleas is to prevent them.
- Start with monthly flea treatment. These will help to keep your pet free of fleas and itch.
- There are several other types of flea prevention available that work in different ways. Frontline Plus, and Advantage II are tropical’s and Comfortis and Capstar are oral products that can be used year around.
- It is important to use these flea control products throughout the entire year (follow label directions for dosing intervals). Continuous use is needed to prevent your pet from becoming re-infested, since fleas can live year-round, especially in your home. Your doctor may also recommend additional flea control measures for your home or yard.
Cleaning your home is a part of treating for fleas
- Wash all your pet’s bedding in hot soapy water.
- Clean all surfaces where your pets spend time.
- Vacuum carpets, rugs and sofa cushions thoroughly and often, including all corners and crevices.
- Dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag after each cleaning session in an outside trash can.
- Several indoor pesticides are available that can also help eliminate fleas in your home. Be sure to carefully read and follow the information on these pesticides to ensure all of your family is safe when using a chemical of any kind. Consider a pest control service for severe infestations.