3. May 2011
Like us, our animal companions – dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils and rabbits to name but a few – can suffer from seasonal allergies. In fact, allergy-related problems have been topping the list of claims to the Veterinary Pet Insurance Company (VPI) for the past few years. The most common allergy-related claims are submitted for skin conditions such as pyoderma (hot spots), ear infections, bronchitis/asthma and inflammation or infection of the eyes.
- Symptoms of allergies in pets include
- Chewing on paws or other reachable body parts
- Scratching excessively
- Recurring ear infections
- Hair loss, and raw and inflamed skin
Our number one suggested treatment for Hot Spots is Zymox HC cream or ointments with Hydrocortisone.
Another product that works well for general scratching all over is CortiSoothe Shampoo or
ResiCORT Conditioner, both with 1% Hydrocortisone.
5. April 2011
Bladder inflammation, whether sterile or bacterial cystitis, frequently results in inappropriate urination. These cats typically have one or more clinical signs like urinating with increased frequency and hematuria or blood in the urine.
LESS COMMON TYPES OF SYMPTOMS:
- Pain Certain types of pain may be manifested when the cat goes to the litter box and positions to urinate or defecate. Most notable is pain from the lumbar spine, lumbosacral junction, hips and knees. Uroliths in the bladder can create pain that is manifested when the cat urinates. The discomfort associated with constipation also can be litter-box related.
- Reluctance to jump or run,
- Failure to raise the tail when petted,
- Increased sedentary or lazy lifestyle,
- Hiding, personality change (especially aggression),
- Reluctance to be picked up,
- Sitting or lying down slowly, a hunched posture of the back and protecting a body part.
Cystitis can be treated in most cases without doing surgery. Put the cat on Canned or Dry Purina UR and antibiotics and generally with in two weeks symptoms are gone. Remain on Purina UR to keep the problem from coming back.
You can order Purina UR on our website and have it delivered right to your door.
Other causes of Polyuria or urinating frequently:
Other common causes of polyuria in cats include diabetes mellitus, renal disease and hyperthyroidism. Blood panels that include glucose, creatinine, BUN and total T4 are diagnostic.
4. April 2011
A zoonosis (zoh-oh-NOH-sis) is an infectious disease that people can catch from animals, and vice versa. Regular veterinary visits, preventive vaccinations and medications, and good hygiene can help prevent them.
Below are details about a common zoonosis, its symptoms, how it’s transmitted, and how to prevent it.
Check with your veterinarian to make sure your pet is protected against this and other zoonotic diseases.
Signs Dogs, cats, people: Fever, shifting leg lameness, swollen joints, lethargy, depression, and anorexia
How it’s transmitted Dogs, cats, people: From the bite of an infected deer tick
People most at risk Everyone
How to prevent it
- Strict monthly tick control for all pets.
- Avoid tick-infested areas.
- Keep grass closely clipped to discourage both tick populations and wildlife that often harbor ticks.
- Consider vaccinating dogs exposed to infected ticks.
We carry several tick control products: Frontline …Advantix…Flea and tick collars …at the lowest price in
the US, plus Free shipping on orders of $75.00 or more